Tuesday 16 December 2014

Ummm. Hmmm. Yeah.

I'm finding Ellen Gamerman's series of articles about trends in American museums for the Wall Street Journal interesting, but weirdly - slanted? It's hard to put my finger on it, but there's a vague air throughout them that museums are out to exploit the punters. (See this earlier piece on crowd-curating & the online responses.)

Gamerman's latest is on museums and visitor data, and the moves (led by the Dallas Museum of Art) to use various forms of tracking to learn more about visitor behaviour. None of this is news to me, or particularly unsettling (the comment about the MIA's programming changes in response to visitor surveys aside) but if I was a punter and not a professional I'd probably feel well creeped out.

1 comment:

Michael Peter Edson said...

Thanks for this, Courtney, and for so much else on your blog. A lot of what you write about is unfamiliar to me (new links, new ideas), and all of what you post is well written, so I seldom feel the need to leave a comment. But, I often find myself wanting to like/(heart)/favorite/thumbs-up something you've written, as a way of letting you know that I've read it and thought about it and appreciate it. I'm not asking you to add a <3 button - - just letting you know how I feel. I'm glad that you write. I bet a lot of people feel the same way.

;)